niedziela, 3 grudnia 2023

A Million Nameless Streets

I reveled the city at dawn... scrumbled up
until sundown... aye, the night falls by so gently
a snowflake of means
on a redlight canvas

I've passed a thousand one-way windows
christmas-light-gilded...
I did not enter...

I've seen a thousand christmas trees
as sad as lonely as can be
I did not smile at their
futile deaths

I've passed a thousand blue strangers...
lit up w/ strangers' true kindness
yet I did not take their offers...

I've passed a million plastic Santa-Clauses
yet I did not feel enraptured

& a man in a black sleazy raincoat 
beggin' for fire
came out of his ehtereal door
his pubs, boutiques & drugstores

& I've passed a million real cosy restaurants...
Bodega vinehouses & such...
ready for Christmas frenzy
w/ their ornaments white
I did not enter...

I've passed a thousand cafes now closed
I wanted to enter
at any cost

I had a hundred bottles of booze
still couldn't kill all these strangers...

the lamp-gilded city hollows
announced a homeless-blue-dinner
I did not eat w/ the homeless... 
no, not this time

& the city became a graveyard of sorts
so beautiful in its denial

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz